NetGalley Book Haul | Stacking the Shelves [4]



This post is a part of Stacking the Shelves, a weekly book meme hosted over at Tynga's Reviews where people post their weekly book hauls. Hauls includes physical books as well as any electronic or audio books. Join in if you're interested! Now onto my haul for this week.

I got a bunch of titles from Net Galley recently! I will be providing the synopsis for each one and talking a bit about why I decided to request them. Just a quick disclaimer, though I got these books for free in no way does that alter my opinion on them. I will be planning to review these, but opinions will remain honest. Click on their covers or titles to be sent to their Goodreads page.

   
The Red Magician by Lisa Goldstein 
Blurb: Winner of the 1983 American Book Award, The Red Magician was an immediate classic. On the eve of World War II, a wandering magician comes to a small Hungarian village prophesying death and destruction. Eleven-year-old Kicsi believes Vörös, and attempts to aid him in protecting the village. But the local rabbi, who possesses magical powers, insists that the village is safe, and frustrates Vörös's attempts to transport them all to safety. Then the Nazis come and the world changes. Miraculously, Kicsi survives the horrors of the concentration camp and returns to her village to witness the final climactic battle between the rabbi and the Red Magician, the Old World and the New. The Red Magician is a notable work of Holocaust literature and a distinguished work of fiction, as well as a marvelously entertaining fantasy that is, in the end, wise and transcendent.
Why I requested it: I love historical fiction, so I'm always naturally inclined to gravitate towards book of this genre. I also love fantasy novels and elements of magic realism. The Red Magician is set during World War II, one of my favourite periods of time to read about AND contains elements of magic and fantasy! What's not to love? Furthermore, this book is a modern classic and winner of a number of award so I'm super excited for what I'm in store for. 

 
The Chimes by Anna Smaill
Blurb: The Chimes is set in a reimagined London, in a world where people cannot form new memories, and the written word has been forbidden and destroyed. In the absence of both memory and writing is music. In a world where the past is a mystery, each new day feels the same as the last, and before is blasphony, all appears lost. But Simon Wythern, a young man who arrives in London seeking the truth about what really happened to his parents, discovers he has a gift that could change all of this forever. A stunning literary debut by poet and violinist Anna Smaill, The Chimes is a startlingly original work that combines beautiful, inventive prose with incredible imagination. 
Why I requested it: I grew up playing piano and violin, though I don't play anymore I still appreciate and absolutely adore listening to music. The Chimes sounds like a wonderfully unique fantasy set in mysterious world. Can't wait to start this one, and seeing as that the author has a background in poetry and music, I'm hoping the writing will be just as beautiful! 

    
Girls' Night In by Multiple Contributors 
Blurb: Most girls know the best nights in consist of other girlie friends, a few bottles of vino (or devilish cocktail concoctions) and a good goss. A Girls Night In provides all this and more between the pages of its cover. A collection of short stories by 32 of the UK's most up-and-coming female authors, this intoxicating anthology is a heady blend of heartbreaks, highs and hit-and-misses. With each writer's distinct perspective and personal style flowing, no two stories are alike--although they all deal with a perennial theme: the battle of the sexes. Contributors include Marian Keyes, Lisa Jewell, Wendy Holden, Amy Jenkins and many, many more. Marian Keyes' "The Truth is Out There" is an unusual, screwball spin on getting over a broken heart--a young woman in the process of a break-up is unwittingly assisted by "a small, yellow, transparent creature who liked to be called Bib", with an eye for the ladies. Lisa Jewell's "Rudy" looks at affairs of the heart from a rare male perspective--the stalker--leaving many a reader, oddly enough, with a wry smile. Innovative, wacky titles abound to induce the reader in: "E-Male of the Species", "Dougie, Spoons and the Aquarium Solarium" and "The Seven Steps from Shag to Spouse". Whether you are drawn to a familiar writer or someone new, you can dip in and out of these tales at whim, gaining a taster of whether you could enjoy a full course of their longer fiction. Either way, raise a glass to toast this eclectic mix of authors united to raise funds for War Child. Proceeds--£1 from every book sold--will promote a Child's Safe Play programme in the Balkans and an educational programme in Rwanda.
Why I requested it: I remember reading this book as a kid! So weird I know, not even sure if it was catered towards my age at the time but seeing this on Net Galley bought back a massive wave of nostalgia. Lovely seeing it all revamped for its 10th Anniversary and I'm so excited to get lost in a few short stories! Not actually a massive fan of chick lit or romance anymore, but I think a few short reads is just what I need. Great that sales go towards charity as well. 

So those are all the books I got this week. What did you think of them? Let me know in the comments and share your STS post or haul! 

11 comments:

  1. Nice selection, Shan! I love Netgalley, but I have to be careful not to request too many books, as I own a lot of books I need to find the time to read, too.

    I hope you're enjoying your weekend. Happy reading .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, it was hard enough just picking these three! You too Lexxie (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books are all unknown to me but they sound pretty great. And I love the cover of The Chimes! ^^

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Netgalley is life! Haha one of my favourite websites. I'm so glad you got such a wonderful haul, I'm looking forward to seeing your reviews.

    Have a good weekend :)

    Aneta @ Angelic Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steph! I know, such a pretty cover (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very interested in Chimes! I don't play music anymore either, but I grew up playing violin/cello/piano so it was a huge part of my life. xD And that cover is so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I played violin and piano too! The cover is beautiful, I agree (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh, The Chimes cover is not only utterly gorgeous, but this sounds brilliant as well. Just the words 'reimagined London' has me wanting to read it. With the author having a background in poetry, you just know that it'll end up a beautiful and poignant read. Can't wait to see what you think of it Shan <3 thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know, can't wait to read it. Thanks for stopping by <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yaay it comes out next month! You too Mel xx

    ReplyDelete